You may have decorated your space with stylish furniture and stunning artwork, but a bad lighting plan can make your beautiful home feel unwelcoming or harsh. Lighting should be stylish, functional, flattering and convenient all at the same time – and just relying on a ceiling light/fan combo isn’t going to cut it.
Illuminate your home and achieve the look you want with these five expert lighting tips.
1. Don’t rely on just one light source: All rooms can benefit from multiple light sources. Use a combination of direct and indirect lighting to create a well-lit room without it feeling too harsh. And of course, don’t forget about the lamps! They are excellent solutions when you need task lighting and can be used in tight spaces. There are even cordless options available now that let you light up an area without outlets.
2. Choose the right overhead light for your space: Different overhead lights work better in some rooms than others. For example, flush-mount fixtures are best in kitchens and bathrooms because they emit a bright light to illuminate the whole room. Pendant fixtures are best in rooms with ceilings nine feet or higher, while recessed lights can be used in rooms with low ceilings.
3. Consider size and placement: This is especially important when dealing with pendant lights. Chandeliers or any pendant light should be hung up 36 to 48 inches above tables and, if used in the dining room, be sure the fixture is 1/2 to 3/4 the width of the table.
4. Install dimmers: We’ve mentioned this before and we’ll say it again: dimmers are a great addition to anyone’s home because they allow you to change a room’s atmosphere at an instant. If you’re throwing a party, you don’t have to install new fixtures or change up your lighting plan. Just lower the dimmer switch to create mood lighting instead!
5. Use energy-efficient bulbs: Energy-efficient light bulbs are not only better for the environment, but they actually save you money in the long run. While the purchase price of these bulbs is typically more expensive, they last a lot longer so you won’t have to buy replacements as often.
Don’t let your home suffer from bad lighting. Follow these lighting tips and enhance your home’s beautiful interior design.